Position: Environmental Scientist
Company: SRK Consulting (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Western Cape, Rondebosch
SRK is looking for an Environmental Scientist. A qualified individual with experience in consulting and EIA processes is essential. The candidate should be a suitably qualified individual who is able to provide support and leadership in the field of sustainable development, including environmental impact assessment, strategic environmental planning and a wide range of other environmental management fields.
The successful candidate will have 3 – 4 years’ experience and be very familiar with NEMA, NEM: WA, WULA and the SEMA processes and associated legislation. The candidate should have experience in undertaking EIA in South Africa, preferably having coordinated at least one full EIA from scoping to receipt of Environmental Authorisation. The candidate will provide support to SRK’s senior consultants (each with 5 - 7 years’ experience), as well as guidance to more junior consultants (each with 1 - 3 years’ experience).
Qualifications, experience and requirements:
The candidate must:
- Have a BSc in Environmental Management (Honours) or higher / other relevant degree.
- Have Pr. Sci. Nat or CEAPSA or be registered as a candidate.
- Have 3 - 4 years’ experience.
- Undertake project coordination duties and provide support to EIA project managers, including:
- Liaison with specialists.
- Preparation of terms of reference for specialists.
- Coordination of specialist inputs to projects.
- Coordination of project schedules.
- Budget tracking.
- Preparation of stakeholder engagement documentation.
- Filing and document control.
- Project administrative support to project managers.
- Prepare proposals, letters and reports, or sections of reports under the direction of a project manager or senior consultant.
- Client liaison under the direction of the project manager or senior consultant.
- Undertake site visits and fieldwork as required on the project and travel within and possibly outside of South Africa, especially in Africa for short, and occasionally extended, periods.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and on multiple projects.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team
- Work on various project types including EIAs, environmental audits, stakeholder engagement and other projects as assigned.
The candidate should have the following competencies:
- Very well developed knowledge of environmental legislation and policy.
- Competent written and verbal communication skills in English – an additional South African language or French/Portuguese would be an advantage.
- Ability to analyse, integrate environmental and social specialist information, and communicate this information simply as well as in technical terms.
- Ability to think holistically and deal with complex and interrelated information.
- Good interpersonal skills.
Market related according ot experience
Contact Person: Lucy Dhroney
Contact Phone: 011 441 1111
Contact Fax: 086 555 0841
Contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Company Website: http://www.srk.co.za/en
Advert End Date: 28 February 2018
Applications together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae must be submitted before or on 28 February 2018. If you do not receive any feedback by 09 March 2018, please accept that your application was unsuccessful. The successful candidate will need to start work as soon as possible. Please indicate which position is being applied for.