Position: Mine Closure Consultant
Company: Digby Wells Environmental
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Bryanston, Johannesburg
Closing Date: 31 May 2018
The successful candidate will be required to carry out mine closure liability assessments, develop mine closure strategies and plans. In addition to this the candidate will be required to identify and calculate mine closure costs.
- Develop mine closure and rehabilitation strategies, plans, policies and procedures in accordance with applicable legislation and regulations.
- Develop mine closure environmental risk assessments.
- Carry out a gap analysis on the client’s mine closure strategy and provide a report on the findings.
- Provide advice and guidance to the client in terms of the implementation of the mine closure process.
- Effectively carry out project administration on closure related projects using the organisation’s methodology and principles to ensure that the projects are delivered on time, within budget and against our quality standards.
- Develop and implement mine closure project plans, in consultation with client, to guide decommissioning and rehabilitation activities.
- Calculate mine closure costs that satisfy regulatory requirements as well as provides a management framework for our clients to manage the costs of construction and operational phases of the mine.
- Conduct audits and reviews in terms of the client’s mine closure plans and assessments.
- Evaluate and monitor the mine closure plans throughout the various stages of the mine life.
- Develop alternative mine closure measures to remediate the impact and risks of the selected mine development.
- Build and maintain relationship with internal and external stakeholders.
Qualifications, experience and requirements:
- BSc. Environmental Science or similar
- MSc. Degree would be beneficial.
- Certificate in GIS would be beneficial.
- Must have a valid driver’s licence.
- Five or more years experience in a similar role.
- Preferably experience within a consultancy environment.
- Good understanding of GN R1147 and GN R1228;
- Project management experience with regards to mine closure related projects.
- Previous experience working on international projects.
- Knowledge and practical experience working with the following:
- Mine Closure Calculations and Environmental Risk Assessments (GN R1147 and GN R1228);
- ArcGIS 10;
- Technical report writing skills;
- Mine Closure and Rehabilitation strategies and plans;
- Strong understanding and practical implementation of the MPRDA, NEMA and other applicable environmental legislation; and
- Mine closure audits and monitoring.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a multi-disciplinary team;
- Excellent communication skills (Both verbal and written);
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to handle stressful situations;
- Strong customer-orientation;
- Strong numerical reasoning;
- Excellent ability to manage one’s time and meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to manage and deliver on multiple projects and tasks running concurrently; and
- Ability to build and maintain a strong network of relationships
Salary Range:: Market related
Contact Person: Sophy Kabini
Contact Phone: +27 11 789 9495
Contact Fax: +27 11 789 9498
Contact e-mail: email@example.com
Company Website: www.digbywells.com
Advert End Date: 31 May 2018